« Home | Living on a Smile » | Irony of a Marionette » | Demise of a Chaffy » | Scynap Burst » | Life of Disguise » | When Nature Calls » 

Thursday, July 08, 2004 

Slewed Roads

April, this year. I went home. I was with my parents after a years spell. In a few days my Mom suggested I should see my Aunt, who lives the next town, a hour of journey away.

Next day early morning, I was forced to leave home. I boarded a bus and was waiting for it to start moving. I was sitting on a two seater seat, the seat next to me was un-occupied. It was only when I was about to burst out of despair, that when will the bus start, I saw a face, a familiar one. It didn't take long to notice, it was Priya. My school mate, we go long back, we were in the same class since the first standard. She noticed me, expression were same as mine, astonished. I got up and offered her the window seat next to me. She agreed with a short smile. Till now we didn't utter a word to each other.

Me: Hi!
Priya: Hi! How are you?

The bus left the depot now. I was happy to see her, but was unable to start a discussion. Good she asked that question.

Me: I'm fine. Hey do you realise, its been seven years since we met each other. I'm so happy to see you.
Priya: I never realised, I lived seven years after school.

I was kind of surprised with her answer. Unable to perceive, I began a new discussion.

Me: Hey someone told me you married. Is it true?
Priya: Yes I did.

Me: Hey I'm so happy to hear that. When did it exactly happen?
Priya: A year after you all left.

Me: Oh! But you joined graduation.
Priya: My parents insisted on marriage. They couldn't afford my studies.

Me: Yeah! Usually parents get extra cautious about girls. Hey tell me what does he do?
With am astonished look, she stared at me.

Priya: He was a physiotherapist in a Hospital.
Me: "Was", What do you mean?

Priya: He left Sam.
Me: Left? What do you mean dear.

Priya: I lost him in an accident last year.

This is only then I realised, sometimes life leaves you in a state where you are not left with any words. Absolutely, stoned. Seeing my reaction, she started.

Priya: What happened Sam?
Me: I'm not sure what to say Priya. I have no words.

Priya: Don't worry. I'm fine. I've been living this for a year.
Me: Oh Dear! I'm so sorry.

Priya: Don't be. He left a daughter to take care of me. She is my support. She is three years old now.

There was a long pause. This is only now I noticed she was in a white saree. She was looking out of the window. I thought silence should be broken.

Me: What are you doing now ?
Priya: I'm working as a ward girl in the same Hospital.

My eyes were wet now. She deserved something better. In my heart I was asking the same helpless question, why does god gives so much pain to people.

Me: Didn't you try to find some other work.
Priya: I could I possibly get? I'm not even a graduate.

Me: Are you going to work now ?
Priya: No I'm on leave today.

We reached our destination. When we got down, I was not sure I should say a bye to her or should be with her for some time. I noticed she was holding a small packed, something wrapped in a news paper.

Me: What is that?
Priya: Oh! This is a food for my daughter. She is in hospital.

Me: What happened to her?
Priya: Pneumonia! She has been in hospital for a week now. Doctors say, lets hope for the best. Hope she eats something today.

I could not utter a word. All I could do was to look at her, and wonder how She is managing to live. One she calls her support in in the mercy of the God.

Priya: Ok Sam. I must hurry, there is no one to take care of her there.

In the oblivion, I could hardly wish her a bye.

I remember, She was the most juvenile person in our class. She was Miss. Popular. I never met a man who disliked her. He was famous for her witty ideas, a sense of humor, which always left us in a burst of laughter. Now she could hardly smile, when I said, "Bye take care".

She was our Apple of eye, She was always there to hold us when we were down. She cared for us as if we were her kids. Thoughts so matured, so cozy. Now, there is no one around to hold her.

Then, I realised, I should have gone with her to the Hospital. Looked around for her. She was lost in the crowd.

About me

  • I'm Biswajit Sharma
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
Disclaimer: "The writings on the blog are purely author's own views, they need not necessarily be influenced by anyone else in the planet. If any content in the blog hurts feelings of a certain community of people it would be purely un intentional, also in such a case your effort to bring it to the notice of the Author will be highly appretiated..